March 4, 2018

My Top 10 Funniest Trek Moments

Well after doing my very sad blog the other day, it was only fair to do the flip-side. Because while Trek can sure have its sad moments it can also have its really light and/or funny moments. These are scenes which are usually meant to break the tension, assuming the whole episode or movie isn’t supposed to be silly. And we need silly stuff once in awhile with all the drama and sadness around us. Heck even Shakespeare got that,  and Trek always remembers that. Of course sometimes being funny can work against an episode too. For instance, Plato’s Stepchildren may make some laugh. I find it nauseating. TNG’s “The Outrageous Okona” is meant to be funny….I think? It fails hard. But when it works, it really works!



\



 The only rule is that these have to be intentionally funny moments, rather than funny because the episode is just so awful that you can’t help but laugh at it. So here are ten episode and/or movie scenes that make me laugh. Course there are plenty more and this list is less official than the previous. And once again I tried to include DS9 and Voyager but it’s mostly TOS and TNG.





#10.Star Trek Generations
When Data gets his emotion chip in Generations, he’s pretty damn annoying. Here is the one gag that worked. Course a ton of Data clips could be on here but there are to many. With one exception we’ll get to.








#9.Q Pid
Funny how I said last time that sad moments were from great episodes and a lot of these happy or silly moments are from sub par episode. This is a great example, in this kind of dull episode where Q makes the crew play Robin Hood. However this gag from Worf is great, short and sweet.







#8.The Quickening
DS9 didn’t have  a ton of light shows but they did do them. Like the baseball episode which is pretty forgettable. This episode was pretty sad, so I guess the creators figured they needed a big gag to kick the depressing show off. And for that, they call in Quark of course!






#7.Tinkor Tenor Doctor Spy
Voyager had its silly episodes, like the “Bride of Chaotica”  Flash Gordon spoof, but I decided on this one. I just did a whole review on this one and as I noted, there are plenty of silly scenes in it. So I had to pick just one. And I went with this one for shear…lunacy. Yes this is it for Voyager, sorry to say.





#6.The Naked Time
What a silly episode. Actually some of it isn’t silly there’s some good drama in it. I missed talking about the dramatic scene in my other article, so let’s discuss some of the silly one’s. This Sulu scene was so popular that for a lot of people when they think of Sulu this is what they think of!





#5.A Piece of the Action
I brought this up a long time ago but this scene is still a classic. The best way to handle a ridiculous satiation is with something ridiculous. And we get Kirk’s inventing a card game to fool some thugs. As I said before I love how Shatner keeps the silliness just in character enough.





#4.The Offspring
I was very remiss in my article last time by not mentioning the very sad scene at the end of this episode. So let’s make up for that by talking about a funny scene. Data has created Lal, his daughter, and when Riker meets her for the first time, well, just watch. Riker’s reaction is priceless.





#3.Star Trek IV
Ah this movie. I’ve gone on and one about this one. I could have listed almost any scene. From Chekov asking about “nuclear wessels” to Scotty and the computer to Spock and his “colorful metaphors”. I decided to pick one scene to show how clever the gahs in this movie were.






#2.Q Less
Course there are plenty of Q examples but I had to limit it it. I picked this one because at first I was just going to use the last part of this scene, which always make me laugh, but honestly the whole scene is worthy. What happens when a depowered Q gets his powers back? A mariachi band..of course!!! And that last bit with Data is simply priceless!!!







#1.The Trouble with Tribbles
This is the grandaddy of “funny” Trek. The episode is written as a comedy and man it delivers. From the adorable tribbles to Shatner’s great acting (he can do comedy too folks!). It’s a great episode and with good reason.




And lest you think I forgot……









Ok I am sure I forgot about a million great examples so comment and let me know what I missed. This is why Trek is so awesome, it hits all the notes not just some of them!
]\

No comments:

Post a Comment