December 11, 2018

Five AWFUL TV Replacement Characters


A few months ago I talked about replacements for superheroes and theme songs, and how they can be hit or miss. This of course happens on TV shows too. But it’s often more miss than hit. Replacing a popular character is very hard to do. For example, I mentioned Chloris Leachman the other day who did a decent job replacing Mrs. Garrett on The Facts of Life. Others may disagree with that, but I liked it. Other examples where it worked include Don Knotts on Three’s Company, Col Potter on MASH, and Rebecca Howe on Cheers. But for the few that worked you have examples like Budd Bronski on Wings. Remember him? Course not. Do I even need to mention Cory and Vance? Ughhhhh



3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you mentioned Vivian. I thought Reid was fine but Hubert rocked. Even though it was a new show, I'd say the replacements for Apollo and Starbuck in Galactica: 1980 sucked. That whole show sucked, so it was par for the course.

    Oh yeah, there was the replacement for Harriet on Family Matters. That was definitely a WTH moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be fair though, I believe that Daphne Maxwell Reid did as well as she could. When you think about that Janet Hubert Whitten went totally nuts, they had to replace her with somebody. And it was up to Daphne to take on that difficult tasks. Sure, her Vivian seems to be less tough and funny than Janet's version. But if you ask me, she still had some good moments.

    The same thing goes for the second Harriet on "Family Matters". It is very difficult to to replace an actor, who has defined a role for years. And she probably did what she could, even if that wasn't good enough for some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have mentioned they had no choice but to recast the role, and that whole drama is a story in of itself. Reid was fine she just didn't fit in nearly as well.

      Delete