December 1, 2018

10 Movies Set at Christmas But AREN’T Christmas Movies

This year marks the 30th anniversary of THE greatest Christmas movie ever made. Of course I am talking about…
 
 
 






Wait, what? Die Hard?? Yeah I know this is kind of an accepted thing now but I still don’t get it. What makes this a Christmas classic? Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fantastic action movie. I loved it in 1988 from the awesome action to the effective comedy to the amazing Alan Rickman as the villain. But aside from the fact it’s set at Christmas, how is it a Christmas classic? Ok they play Let it Snow at the end, but…really? A few years I decided to finally check it out myself, and watched the movie after several years. And to be fair, it does kinda start out Christamassy. You’d never guess what the movie would turn into. But then it becomes an action flick, and…Christmas? (FYI yes it still mostly holds up)








But there are tons of people who watch it every Christmas and who am I to argue with them? But the thing is, this isn’t the only movie to have nothing to do with the holiday but be set on it anyway. A couple years ago I discussed movies which will have a random Christmas scene, but otherwise have nothing about the holiday in it. But what about movies which are specifically set during the Christmas season..even though the plot has no connection to the holiday? Oh sure elements of the holiday may pop in, but the story is unrelated and in some cases even dark or disturbing! Yeah I know you’re all thinking of a few, but for fun let’s run some of them down.






Die Hard may have started the trend, but it sure wasn’t the last! Here are a few more:





Lethal Weapon

I honestly forgot about this one. But yeah it definitely takes place at Christmas. I guess I can see why people who don’t particularly care for the holidays may enjoy a movie where the lights and decorations are either being blown away or used to hurt people.





Gremlins

Ah, Gremlins. I saw this movie, once. And only once. And that was enough. But how can it not be considered a Christmas movie really? The dog strung up by lights, the Gremlins attacking the women through her tree, and of course the little monsters all singing Jingle Bells. And lest we forget that Gizmo was a Christmas present originally. I loved Gizmo.






Batman Returns

I cheated and discussed this last time but it really belongs here. Yes Tim Burton set this movie at Christmas…lord only knows why. Except for that tree lighting scene it barely even appears. Oh wait, Brice Wayne wishes Alfred Merry Christmas in the end. At least with Edward Scissorhands the holiday enhanced the mood, here it’s pointless.






Trading Places

They don’t need to be action movies. Comedies work too. Though why was this set at Christmas time? But is certainly was and in fact the sight of a distraught Dan Aykroyd in a Santa suit is almost iconic. By the way this is a classic comedy and I did see it. It’s one of Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy’s better films.






Iron Man 3

Well if Batman could then wry not Iron Man? Honestly I forgot this one too, but it most definitely takes place over the holidays. Even ending on Christmas Day. Lots of touches appear in the movie. You gotta love Tony Stark rocking to Jingle Bells!







Sleepless in Seattle/While You were Sleeping

Ah, the rom com. I put these together not because they were romantic comedies, but because they’re only a little on Christmas. In both cases the plot gets going on Christmas. “Sleepless” is the Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks movie and “While” is the Sandra Bullock one, which isn’t as good. I liked them both though.








Reindeer Games

What the heck is up with this one? Ben Affleck stars in this crime thriller which is pretty violent. But Affleck wears a Santa suit through parts of it, so that still counts right? It’s not the worst action movie. I always said that every Christmas needs a good sex scene. Speaking of that….







Eyes Wide Shut

I know when I think Christmas I think of adultery, secret cults and orgies. Don’t you? Heaven only know why Stanley Kurbick set this movie at Christmas, symbolism? I’m not even gonna try to explain the plot, but this is one of Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman’s more memorable movies.






Ghostbusters II

This is one movie that never shows up on lists like this. Maybe people forget it takes place right through the holiday season? To be fair all we really get is that shot of the four in Santa hats. And the finale on New Year’s Eve. But I say it still counts! I also say I still don’t like it very much.






Thee are plenty more than ten. I didn’t even get into horror movies set at Christmas! I guess there is just something about the darker side of Christmas these movies appeal to, and just because it’s Christmas doesn’t mean the world stops turning. Things still happen and life does go on, so maybe it’s good to have these kind of movie to remind of that while watching the more traditional Christmas movies. Did I miss your favorite? Comment and let me know.  And since this is the 30th anniversary of the greatest action movie ever, I leave you with my favorite scene :



No comments:

Post a Comment