January 16, 2016

Five Things I Hated in Star Wars-The Force Awakens


 

So I saw this movie back on New Year’s Eve and there were great things in it. The space battles were awesome, Rey kicked ass, the B-2 droid was cute, and I loved the Millennium Falcon. Someone please explain how they recreated those sets so well? But I have decided to share five things that I did not like in the movie. Now I am being honest, I have not seen it again and am going by memory and comments others have made. If I get something wrong feel free to correct me, maybe i missed something.



But here are five things in the movie that I did not like very much! Oh, and big time spoilers here so if you still haven’t seen it be warned!!!



Death Planet??

In Star Wars A New Hope, the Death Star was almost a character in the movie. You really felt the weight and dread of this massive space station. Now it probably sounded good on paper, but a planet? I’m sorry but the lush green planet just doesn’t have the same presence. Oh and for something really dumb, it has almost the exact same design flaw as the Death Star. C’mon! Yeah that final battle against the planet was so boring, I’m sorry but I couldn’t have cared less. The lightsaber fight on the planet was good, almost made up for the space battle. And I know it was called Starkiller Base and maybe I missed something, it was still boring.





He was who again??

I loved Rey. Finn was ok though not as memorable. But who the heck is Poe Dameron? Oh yeah, he’s the fighter pilot who vanished for more than half the movie after getting the plot going. Then we were supposed to care at the end when he destroyed the Death..planet. I’m sorry but the reason we were right there with Luke in the finale of the original movie was because we were there for his journey. We knew him and had grown to care about him. I had to look up this guys name!!!!


Villain bored me

I get what Kylo Ren is supposed to be, in theory, but I’m sorry the villain is boring. Darth Vader was a presence, he was badass and awesome. But this guy…comes off like a whiny child. Maybe that’s the idea, he is Han’s son and all, and I maybe the character will get better in the next two movie. But here, he did nothing for me.




R2D2 Big Scene not So Big

This is just me, I assume, but I would have loved more R2. But the worst part is how he finally enters the movie. We first see him low power mode, and we assume when he finally turns on it will be that clip we see at another point in the movie where someone is touching him and it’s all cool! So what happens instead? He just turns on again. Just like that. Is this the worst thing in the world? No, but I was a bit let down. I love R2D2.




Why so little Luke and Leia?

Yeah this is an easy one but this is a big tease. We are told in the opening crawl that Leia is searching for Luke, and not only does it take forever to finally get her in the movie but she doesn’t even end up finding him. And what’s worst, Luke doesn’t appear until the very end! Now don’t get me wrong, that final scene was beautiful no arguments. But to have Mark Hamill billed on top, and Leia mentioned in the crawl, and then reduce there roles to just staring with very little dialogue was annoying. Now I knew this going in, to be fair, but it still kind of sucked. And it’s true Luke’s build up worked and he will probably be in more, but Leia deserved better than what her role became in this movie. And speaking of that, what happened between her and Han anyway? They talk as if they had broken up but we get no background at all! Oh well, maybe the next movie. They’re scenes worked for the most part.




The one thing I didn’t mention was Han Solo’s death. The reason is because I am not sure how to feel about. I saw it coming, who didn’t?, but I am not sure if it was a great way for the character to go out or a shafting. I really need to see it again to decide.

So, am I saying it was a bad movie? No I am saying it was a good movie though I really do need to see it a second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment