October 2, 2015

Five TV Shows I’d Love to see on DVD

TV Shows on DVD is truly an awesome thing. Not only do you get to see your favorite shows whenever you want, but they are usually remastered and unedited!  But despite the vast library of TV shows on DVD, there are still a few I would love to see but most likely will not. Even some that make sense, like WKRP for instance which had tons of music in every episode, still manage a full series DVD release. While other shows still have not seen the light of day. WTF? Until last year or so the Batman TV Series would have been on here, but that finally came out and I own the whole things



Here are five I would love to see someday:



Head of the Class
Head_of_the_Class_(title_card)
I’ve gone on and one about this show, one of the more underrated shows from the 80’s. When it was good, it was really good. I am not even much of a Howard Hesseman fan but he was cool here. It was a series of genius’s in a high school but was well cast and all the characters were likable So, why isn’t this series out on DVD? I mean it was a reasonably big hit in is day. Heck not even the first season has even seen the light of day! I’d love to see the first few years of this show released. I mean, Coach manages to get released but no this show?







The Hogan Family
Hogan-family-ho-ho-hogans
The lack of DVD for this one makes a little more sense to me, since this was never a major hit. NBC was wise to put it after ALF, and it made for a very friendly family hour on Monday nights before the violent Nine O’clock movie (would someone please tell me what happened to the network movies of the week?). Valerie Harper, and later Sandy Duncan starred and it was a Miller/Boyett show in the spirit of Full House. But when it was good, it was pretty funny. I am just glad that my brother and I were wise enough to record many episodes because I am pretty sure that is the only I will get the re-watch this harmless series. Oh, and by the way, I preferred Sandy Duncan. I need to discuss this show in depth someday.






Who’s The Boss (Season 2-7)
whos-the-boss 
Some shows managed to get a season, maybe two, out and then it sopped. I can kind of see Murphy Brown since that show is so dated. Perfect Strangers got a season One release but that is all. And then there’s Benson. It would make my day to see the rest of this series come out. How come Soap got a full release but not it’s more popular spin off series? But the one that really baffles me is Who’s The Boss? Season one was released…and the nothing else! What the heck is wrong with Who’s The Boss? This light Tony Danza/Judith Light comedy was harmless and really good! Where’s the rest of the set?  I mean it can’t be any copyright problems, so what the hell? I understand maybe season one didn’t sell so well, TEN YEARS AGO, but geez! You’d think by now they just would release it just because they a running out of shows. Do it the same half hearted way they released Night Court and Growing Pain, Manufacture-on-Demand (which is a cheaper way yes but I still have all the episodes!!). And I don’t believe Growing Pains was more popular and they have the first five years out (with season six on the way). Small Wonder gets a full release? Webster gets a full release? Freaking Punky Brewsters gets a full release?  Even Mr.Belvedere is being released, they’re up to Season 4!





You Can’t Do that On Television
you_cant_do_that_on_television_title
Ah, the quintessential 80’s kids show. There have been attempts to get this out on DVD, but I guess it’s been a struggle to get the people to sign off on it. Every attempt has failed. And it’s to bad, this show was a major part of my childhood and it would be really cool to own the episodes. Unlike the rest of these there are episodes to watch on YouTube so I guess that’s something. But really, Danger Mouse is out on DVD but not this show? C’MON!!! Anyone here actually remember Danger Mouse?







Muppet Babies
muppetbabieslogo
A lot of 80’s cartoons are on DVD. He-Man, Superfriends, Transformers, Thundercats, G.I.Joe, The Smurfs, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Real Ghostbusters, heck even ALF..all available to own. Even freaking Saved By The Bell!! I owned Garfield and Friends for awhile. There is one glaring omission. And while it makes perfect sense, it’s still sorely missed. I don’t think I have to explain what this show was about, but it was so well done. The Muppet Babies used their imaginations to have all sorts of adventures, and every episode was really cute. The problem, of course, is that every episode has all sorts of copyrighted clips and music so getting this DVD out would probably be more trouble than it was worth. Which is a shame. this was a great Muppet production and deserves to be saved along with The Muppet Show and Fragile Rock which are both available.






I notice this list is very much stuck in the 80’s. I tried to come up with a 90’s show that has yet to be released, but none came to mind. And by the way, I am referring to official releases not bootlegged DVD’s that people made in their homes. So what about you guys? Any shows you’d love to see on DVD that hasn’t been released yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment