October 18, 2015

Top 5 Supernatural DC Comics Superheroes

A few months back I spent a lot of time talking about my favorite characters in the DC universe. I covered heroes, villains, supporting characters, and even favorite teams. But there is one small group I left off, and since we are in October it seemed to the perfect time to go through them. The magic based characters.


DC has a very rich line of supernatural characters, from heroes like Animal Man to villains like The Floronic Man. But which one’s to do I especially love?



#5.Deadman
GalleryChar_1900x900_deadman_52ab8495e36fe6.37608302
Deadman is another one of those characters I know from his crossovers with other characters, like Superman and Batman. He is a, well, dead man who was once a circus performer. After he was killed his spirit is given the power to possess any living being by a Hindu god named Rama Kushna. The cool thing is that the guy has a very strong personality and the character is one that is easy to like. The best thing he ever did was infiltrate the alien alliance during the “Invasion” even in 1988.




#4.Zatanna
zatanna2
One of the first comic books I ever read had the mistress of magic in it, and I had no idea who she was at the time. But I learned. Daughter of a golden age hero named Zatarra, Zatanna was awesome! She had unlimited magic, well ok limited to the fact that she had to recite her spells backwards. Which was kind of cool! She was a member of the Justice League of America back in the day. At first we was a novice hero and her powers were pretty basic. As time went on as her character evolved so did her powers until she was more mystical in nature, even resurrecting the devastated city of Metropolis in one appearance.






#3.The Spectre
Spectre_3
The Spectre is literally the servant of god, and he is freaking awesome! Well Ok not a first. In fact the golden age version was kind of, boring. And silly. But they kept rebooting the character until he got more and more awesome. Jim Corrigan was shot in the line of duty and afterward become an avenging spirit out to punish evil doers. He was really cool and I already talked about two of his appearances a couple weeks ago. And yes I know he has been given other identities including Hal Jordan for awhile, but the classic version will always be the best.





#2.Dr.Fate
Doctor_Fate_Kent_V_Nelson_0002
I am not really sure when my first exposure to Fate was, but I loved this guy. I had the action figure as a kid and thought he was awesome. Now there were a few versions over the years but I preferred the classic Kent Nelson version. He put that golden helmet on and was possessed by the spirit of a Lord of Order. I even bought his mini series in the 80’s…which was confusing, but whatever. He is just awesome, even making what is kind of a goofy costume into something classy and badass! As I said they have changed him up over the years, at once point he was a woman which was weird.’




#1.The Phantom Stranger
142_phantom_stranger
The Stranger is just…cool! No one really knows who is or where he comes from though there has been speculation. It seems that unlike Spectre, he serves god (or the lords of order) as a punishment for something. In fact the two often find themselves at odds. He often offers supernatural aid to everyone like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Firestorm and most notably to the Justice League of America. He was even an honorary member for a time. I talked about two of his appearances a few weeks ago (one which was lame, but whatever). He often appears in the oddest places, even being around to observe Darkseid during the Legends even in the 80’s. I always enjoy it when he appears in a book, the cryptic talk and the way he can do pretty much anything. He also seems to be clairvoyant and just know everything that is going to happen. I have literally bought books because he was in it, and when used he’s correctly a story with him involved is never boring.





Now I’ll be honest, and I never read much of the supernatural stuff. As I said these characters I liked because of their interactions around the DC Universe, not from their own books (the Dr.Fate mini-series notwithstanding). I just never got into the “mature” stuff especially the stuff from the Vertigo line. That is why obvious choices like The Demon are not here. And one other obvious choice is missing, but deserves a mention. That is :


Swamp Thing!
swamp_thing_1
Swamp Thing never grabbed me, heck I didn’t even know the backstory until I saw Longbox of the Damned! It’s a really tragic story and gets into really mystical stuff that is a bit over my head.  There are more qualified out there to go into this character’s background, so I will just mention that there was one story he was in that was great. It was an issue of DC Comics Presents written by Alan Moore. I will spare you the plot breakdown, but this was a great issue, worth a read if you find it.

$_35
And no I never watched the TV show or the movies or animated series.








So what about Shazam? That’s a stretch. Raven from Teen Titans? Yeah she should be on here. She was an empath but had some pretty occult abilities. Call her a #6 spot, she was pretty awesome.

Ravenacolor

So if I missed your favorite comment and let me know. I could do a list of supernatural villains but that would be a lot harder. Hmmm…

No comments:

Post a Comment