October 15, 2015

Fifteen Scary Superman Stories for Halloween

When I was a kid I used to read specific comics at Halloween which were either set at Halloween or creepy enough I decided it counted. The big one was Superman! I know Batman seems to be more closely associated with Halloween, but Superman is no slouch in dealing with the occult.




Then a week ago Longbox of the Damned featured Superman #344 where he fought Dracula and Frankenstein.

2013-01-17_203948_superman344
And…the story sounded stupid. Throwing The Phantom Stranger in as a deux ex machina at the end. It got me thinking of those stories I read as a kid, and I was able to cobble together a list of other Superman issues which are good enough to read on Halloween. The Man of Steel has fought everything from ghosts to vampires, and the stories are usually creepy and even scary.



I am including a few books that I did not read but thought were worth a mention, and a few that Superman was in but even if he wasn’t the focus of the book.



This list started out as 5. Yeah, I know. Anyway….



Justice League of America #145
jla145
Of course Superman is part of the story, so it counts. Superman fights for his soul in the afterlife while the rest of the JLA must defeat Count Crystal and the Carnival of Souls. It’s a pretty spooky tale which includes The Phantom Stranger yet again.





Action Comics #531
Action_Comics_531
I had this issue many moons ago, and I’ll admit I don’t remember it that well. It involves a ghost haunting The Daily Planet and I really don’t remember it. I also couldn’t find a decent synopsis online so that’s all I can say until I re-read the issue.







DC Comics Presents #19
2440_4_19
This is a decent haunted house story. Superman and Batgirl end up getting involved, and the thing I like about is that it doesn’t follow the usual haunted house cliche’s. The house is owned by a man with an odd deformity who was sealed in the house which usually exists away from reality, He causes people in the house to go crazy and attack each other. Anyway since it would take to long to give a full synopsis, let’s just say it’s a good haunted house story though for a team up it falls flat. Superman and Batgirl hardly interact!







Superfriends #28
Super_Friends_Vol_1_28
Yeah I know, Superman isn’t the only hero. But it’s still fun. Want a change of pace? Felix Faust causes some people at a costume party to be bonded to their costumes until he gets cash. Then the Superfriends intervene. It’s campy and silly and actually takes place on Halloween…worth a read.







DC Comics Presents #53
20399-2943-22760-1-dc-comics-presents
Speaking of taking place on Halloween. I admit it, I am not sure I ever read this one. But I read the synopsis and it sounds creepy enough. It’s Superman inside The House of Mystery. It has similarities to the above Superfriends story except this isn’t nearly as campy.








Superman #422
superman422
In the final pre-crisis issue, Superman has to fight some mean werewolves. Not much else to say on this one.








Action Comics #585
Action_Comics_585
Want a good story involving Superman and The Phantom Stranger? When a magic force animates a prison graveyard, Superman must deal with the physical manifestation while the Stranger fights the menace on more spiritual terms.








Action Comics Annual #1
Action_Comics_Annual_01
This is the one I am sure I read way back when. It’s a really good vampire story, written by John Byrne. Batman is investigating mysterious deaths in Gotham which leads him to North Carolina. Whne he discovers a vampire problem, he calls in Superman for aid. It’s a very dark and broody story and while Batman and Superman only share one page, unlike the DC Comics Presents issue that kind of works for this story. If you like scary vampire stories I highly recommend this one.







Superman vs Aliens
938783
This may be a stetch, since I usually don’t hear people comment they are watching Alien on Halloween. Its just what it says, Superman fights the aliens from Alien. And there is one part where Superman is captured and they shove a chestburster down his throat. Uh, yeah. Creepy as hell.







Action Comics #595
Action_Comics_595
I would say that Silver Banshee is not one Superman’s more well known enemies, but she was featured in an episode of Smallville so she must be kind of popular. In this issue, the Banshee’s wail apparently kills Superman! Until he comes back as a ghost to battle her. It’s a really good issue as it turns out Superman was really in a coma and getting special help. From who? Nah, I won’t spoil this one. I’ll just say it’s a satisfying reveal.








Action Comics #596
53af14a4cd9f0a44e4d94fbaf6053782
Yeah, I know. Why so many from Action Comics? This was a tie in to the Millennium event going on, so as a Halloween comic it’s not the strongest. But two things make it worth a look. One is the fact that it takes place on Halloween, and the second is a cute gag involving The Spectre scaring away a couple trick or treaters out to cause trouble. It’s good for a chuckle.








Superman #47 & #70
Superman_v.2_47   sup70
These issues feature the satanic villain Blaze. Blaze was pretty much the devil, or related to the Devil, and was introduced in a three part arc where Superman fought her for the souls of Jimmy Olsen and Jerry White. Remember Silver Banshee? Yeah Blaze had a role in her origin (plus Skyhook another villain who was creepy). Superman fighting in hell? Cool! In #70 Superman joins Robin (Tim Drake) as they try to save some souls who have been turned into vampires (though they act like zombies in the story). This is pretty solid to though the ending seems awful convenient.
Oh, what about Satanus? Never read those stories but they sound pretty cool too.









Superman #180
1653490-superman__1987__180
Yep. Superman vs Dracula
I have no idea where I got my hands on this, but maybe it was the concept that made me interested. The setup is sinilar to the comic above, Clark and Lois investigating something in a foreign country. Unlike that Superman issue I mentioned before, which did the Hollywood versions of Dracula, this comic is closer to the Bram Stroker version. It’s a decent story and the best part is the end, how Dracula is defeated. Many writers forget that Superman stores solar energy, and the twist is really cool. Nice ending.








Superman & Batman vs Vampires & Werewolves
1125727
This title pretty much says it all. This was featured on Longbox some time ago. What did I think? I still haven’t read. I keep meaning to pick it up but just can’t seem to get to it. As I said I heard good things so check it out. It’s six issues but has been collected of course. I know I’ll read it one of these days. Yes I know it’s more of Batman story (not to mention including Demon, Man-Bat, Wonder Woman, and Green Arrow) but I decided it was a good one to end on anyway.




There are plenty I left off, but that’ll do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment