October 24, 2011

Top 5 Things I Hated in Disney Movie (in honor of MovieFan12)



(Yes, this is a re-do. I deleted the first one because it was rushed I realized I did not put enough thought into some of my choices, and my title was a foolish choice. Hope this list is better.)
The theme today is to tribute MovieFan12 and his year on the site. Who am I to buck an obvious trend? However, I wanted to do something different. I present to you my Top 5 Things I Hated In Disney Movies.
There are several movies which had scenes or concepts which I just didn’t like. Others may like it, that is fine, but I just always had a problems with it and at times it nearly ruined an otherwise great production.
#5.  The falling in love crap in “Bambi”
There’s nothing like spending an hour establishing characters just to crap all over them. This is a movie about a deer growing up and becoming an adult. Ok, we meet these cute lovable characters and then the mother gets killed which even I admit was upsetting. The movie is going along fine, until the now adult characters are warned that spring means falling in love. Of course they don't believe, and then one by one they find someone and start making googly eyes at them. Are we supposed to care if these characters fall in love with someone they just met and have no history with? To this day I never understood why they shoehorned that love crap in there, were they trying to make it longer? I just hate this movie after they grow up because the characters stop being cute and lovable and are just bland and boring. There is a reason Timon and Pumbaa are around Simba after he grows up, maybe Disney learned their lesson from this bore fest. Thank goodness Bambi II corrected some of this, in fact that was very good sequel and urge you to find a copy if you never saw it because it makes the end of the original movie make sense! We understand why Bambi likes the girl (he’s already met her!) and we understand why we get that otherwise pointless fight scene in the original. Bambi II was definitely worth watching unlike the other foolish “sequels”, and speaking of poorly planned sequels....
#4. Direct to DVD Sequels like Cinderella II & III
Nothing like damaging a classic movie years after it came out. During the late 90's Disney was fascinated with the idea of direct to video sequels. Most of them were ok, Lion King was good. Lady and the Tramp wasn't bad. Most were lousy, and some were never even made! I saw previews of the Dumbo sequel in the special edition video release years ago, but it never got past the storyboard phase. Thank heavens the Dumbo sequel was killed, it looked stupid. For all of the sequels they made though, these were the worst (although Fox and the Hound 2 was terrible!).  In II they took what was a timeless movie and they made it into a Saturday morning cartoon. We get three separate stories, none of them interesting and none of them having to do with anything. One was a story about Cinderella adjusting to her new lifestyle (yawn), then a story about one of the stepsisters trying to find a man (yawn), and one scene where the fairy godmother is reading to the mice from the first movie. This seem moronic to anyone else? This was just boring. As for III, it would have been ok if they hadn’t retcon’d the entire ending to the first one, which is inexcusable. As I said above, Bambi 2 was one of the few exceptions I think that this sequel helped the original believe it or not.
#3. Inaccurate history in Pocahontas.
I know that this is Disney and there is no reason to expect an accurate historical account of the settlement of Virginia, but it’s kind of hard to swallow everything here. I really don’t think Pocahontas had animals who could speak, and the geography in some of the songs doesn’t even come close to what Virginia looks like. They gloss over the horrible way Pocahontas and her tribe was treated, obviously they wanted to make the film more family friendly but if you’re going to base a movie on real events you have to stick a little closely to the source material. The same problem happened in Hunchback, the comedy relief just feels wrong and out of place.
#2. These are kids films?
There are so many scary moments in the early days of Disney, it’s a wonder they ever got made. Everyone remembers the scene in Snow White where she is racing through the black forest. Then we get Pinocchio which has some real terrifying images. Some Disney movies are almost depressing. Get through Dumbo without crying, dare you. And I always wondered, why does every Disney movie have to have a death fake out? We have a character who we believe has died, and they let us think it for a few second until we find out it was a fake out. It happened in Snow White, Pinocchio, Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and that’s not even all of them. Of course the worst is when the death is real, who has ever forgotten when Bambi’s mother died, or Mufasa in The Lion King? I guess that's what makes these movies memorabile, even if they are a bit traumatic. Speaking of traumatic......
#1. Pink Elephants on Parade from Dumbo.
I know people will think I am crazy, but this bothered me for years. While I think the scene in Pinocchio where the boy turns into a donkey was scary as hell, but this scene from Dumbo is on this list for one simple reason. The scene in Pinocchio is part of the story, this is just filler. Talk about being creeped out, the clown scene in Poltergeist didn’t bother me as much. We see Dumbo and his mouse friend drink too much (accidentally) and pass out. What we get is a bizarre sequence of pink elephants dancing around with this crazy song which sets up residence in your head and never gets out. Pointless, disturbing, and just awful. The only good thing is right after this scene we meet the crows, and they were always my favorite part of Dumbo. I can understand, and even appreciate, how this scene is liked but I just didn’t.
And finally, I have been talking about pieces of movie but what is the one animated Disney movie I truly can’t stand to watch? The award goes to The Three Caballeros. Sorry, but putting Donald Duck in it didn’t make this confusing mess anymore tolerable. I know people will disagree with me, but that’s ok. I can take it.
Well, that’s my list of things Disney should never have done in their animated films. Maybe another time I will talk about their live action stuff. What happens in “The Three Lives of Thomasina” could fill a whole article. All in all I do like Disney, the way they entertain children while keeping adults interested is amazing. I especially loved the 90’s renaissance, from Little Mermaid to Lion King. They were all great, great movies. I also loved Lilo & Stitch, it was great!
Congratulations Moviefan12!

No comments:

Post a Comment