August 9, 2026

Top 8 Favorite Star Trek Bridge Designs

As we get closer to the official anniversary, I have one more Star Trek article before the 200th that I promised back at the start of the year. Since my last article discussed my favorite bridge crews, the logical follow up is favorite bridge designs. The bridge is the center of the show, so it has to not only be aesthetically pleasing but functional as well. By that mean it has to be awesome whether they're in action or just sitting around talking. 







Of course I am not counting the neon modern era designs, just the classic versions (I did post discovery and SNW above just to be fair). I also decided to count all the movies. And since DS9 is, well, a space station let's discuss the Defiant instead. And let's just focus on the ship's that helmed their various series, if I expanded to any ship, we'd be here all day. 


#8.Kelvin movies







I admit these movies deserve a round of applause for the excellent casting choices and even forgive the redesign of the ship itself. What I can’t be forgiving about is the awful apple iPhone inspired design of the bridge. Takes any and all character away and even worst, shows keep copying it!!! This leaves absolutely no impact on me. 




#7.ENT

Enterprise at the top?  What a shocker! While I do give credit that is conceivable this Bridge led to the iconic one we know and love, it just lacks the charm of that or any other design. It's not the worst, it's still not SNW, but it certainly isn't a favorite. Maybe a little more color? At least they learned from Voyager and nixed the navigator chair. 





#6.TNG movies 







This is a cheat, but it was the same ship through the three movies (the less said about the horrific redesigned bridge in Generations the better). While it has the combat function lacking in the series design there is just no charm. Doesn't help since we only had it in three movies we never really spent enough time there to appreciate it. 




#5.DS9

The Defiant was designed for one simple thing, to be a badass combat vessel. It's small and tough..and lacks any and all comforts the other designs have. And as I said that's fine, it was designed that way, but the result is a Bridge that is awesome during combat but little else. 




#4. OG movies

This is a real cheat since the design of the movies altered through the films. I decided that to put it here because while it lacks the personality of the series Bridge, it has enough charm and comfort that it's clear these aren't meant to be combat vessels only. 




#3.TNG

The design is a classic, but it has a big problem. While Defiant has no comfort at all, this one is too much comfort. People forget that the battle bridge was where the action was supposed to take place. But creators realized the crew stopping and running down to that every episode would get boring. This bridge is a great example of 24th century luxury. Now don't get me wrong it's iconic and I love it I just think that the bright cheery design is a little too much. Plus, the back with Worf stranding and the forced Engineering station (because they didn't think they needed it in season 1). No surprise, no other ship after this ever looked like this again. Even when they rebuilt it for Picard they dialed down the colors and lights. I will give credit that it has three turbo lifts at least. 




#2.VOY

Man was finding pics for this one a challenge. Why #2? This Bridge is a nice comfortable area when it needs to be but an also a nice spacious command center when it needs to be. The creators really learned from TNG. The space and basic aesthetics are the same, but it feels more combat ready, and I like how they nixed the pointless navigator and the science section has a clear area. Something not seen since the original days. The tactical/security section is an upgrade, Word always looked silly standing in TNG and the captain, and first office sit prominently together on the Bridge. Perfect. 




#1.TOS

What else? This is the one I love. To paraphrase Scotty, “this is the only one I think about. The only one I miss”. When I was lonely, shy kid this was where I wanted to be. Yeah, I guess you could argue it’s silly today (is the sleek version in SNW that much better?) but my heart will always be here first. 








So what about the classic design from the first pilot? Funny you should ask! Come back next time on the official 60th anniversary as I celebrate with a very special look at where it all began. 

No comments:

Post a Comment