I’ve always avoided doing this because Lois is a hard character to get down. Lex is a villain, easy. But Lois has to be many things. A strong reporter, a romantic foil, and damsel in distress. I never cared for her in the silver age but after the Byrne revamp, she got more interesting. When I really started to like her is when she found out Clark was Superman, I love that dynamic. Not only does she give Clark someone to talk to, but she can help and offer support. So much better than the awful silver age days when she was nosy pest trying to trick Superman into marrying her (because that's all women cared about in the silver age).
Here are my ten favorites. As always just opinion and just for fun. And there will only be one animated here, I’m not familiar with the others and if I included all of them, we’d be here all day.
#10.Phyllis Coates
.webp)
Sort of an honorary place, she was the first live action Lois in the serials. I am sure she was wonderful, but I have never seen them.
#9Kate Bosworth

When I was putting this idea together, I had completely forgotten this one. Superman Returns is a bad movie, and her awful portrayal is a part of it. Ok may she's not "awful" but she's too young and just feels so flat through the movie. The worst thing is she needs two men to save her (her husband, long story). And as bad as her chemistry with Superman is, it's nonexistent when he's Clark.
#8.Noel Neill
The standard setter. I never watched the series but from the clips I've seen she had the no nonsense reporter stuff down cold. And it's nice to see from such a dated TV show. But what about the romance? It seemed like there wasn't any, but I could be wrong. This was the silver age when Lois was more damsel in distress than genuine love interest.
#7.Dana Delaney
Here’s my one animated entry, I needed to make it 10! Seriously though Delaney did a wonderful job making her tough but not a pushover. But what about the romantic stuff? Ehh
#6.Margot Kidder
Ok ok stop screaming! All kidding aside I know she’s considered by many to be the best, but I’ve never been a fan. Yeah, she’s a determined reporter but her lovesick stuff gets a bit old. I think there's just too much silver age in her performance (the movie was released in 1978 so fair is fair). I mean if you can write her out of Superman III and not miss her, there's a problem. Her best stuff is in the 4th movie, sadly. I think I finally figured out my problem with the romance. She falls in love with Superman, not Clark. I’m in the “Clark is who he is, Superman is what he does” group and maybe that’s my issue.
#5.Bitsie Tulloch
This one is not easy. I didn't really get into this show until it was nearly done. Though I enjoyed this Lois when she first appeared in Supergirl. Finding a place to put her is difficult, the show never grabbed me because of its tone. That whole gritty realism thing. And the fact that this is Superman after he's saved the world a million times. This Lois is badass, even beating cancer, and of course raising two boys on top of everything else. And she has a sweet chemistry with Hoechlin.
#4.Rachel Brosnahan
#3.Amy Adams
This may be a controversial opinion, but she deserved so much better. I loved Amy Adams as Lois; it was one of the best parts of Man of Steel. BVS was a slog and she hardly does anything in Justice League. She was in on the action and a damn good reporter, and her chemistry with Superman was solid. BVS sucked but her one scene with Clark is gold. I just wish we had more of her. Unlike Bosworth who did nothing for the crappy movie she was in, Adams elevated the crappy movies she appeared in.
#2.Teri Hatcher
Now we’re talking! This Lois Lane hit all the boxes. She was no nonsense reporter who didn’t let anything in her way. She had s soft side and could be vulnerable. She was infatuated with Superman but fell in love with Clark. And she could defend herself without any help at all. I loved to see that. Even when Lois and Clark got together the chemistry still worked (asinine wedding episode best forgotten).
#1.Erica Durance
I'll be honest, when I first heard of Lois popping up in this show, I thought it was stupid. I mean Lex being in Smallville calls back to the silver age, so fair enough. But what is Lois doing here? But man not only did they make it work, but Durance knocked it out of the park. I never dreamed I’d like her more than Hatcher. I think what I love about this Lois is that while she is driven and competitive, she also has a fun side. And of course her chemistry with Welling was pitch perfect.
There you have it. Agree? Disagree? Comment and let me know.











No comments:
Post a Comment