April 9, 2020

My Favorite Characters-Seven of Nine

Well it was only a matter of time before we got to a Star Trek character. Let's talk about one character so interesting, she literally saved the show she was in. Well, she helped it anyway. She's also had new attention recently, but we'll get to that. This is..


Seven of Nine





So let's tackle this one a step at a time. When we first meet Seven of Nine she is a full borg drone who is working wit the Voyager crew to tackle a mutual threat. Long story short, she is severed from the collective and spends the rest of the series struggling to regain her humanity. It was a struggle at first, since she was incapable of understanding how to interact with people and respect authority rather then taking charge all the time. Not to mention spending years as a drone, the silence of her own thoughts was hard to handle.


Seven was originally Anika Hanson, and was assailed at such a young age that she really had no idea how to deal with her sudden new Indiduality. At first she didn't even want to, but did learn to embrace her humanity. As the series went on she made great strides, slowly wanting to create relationships and of course she always had Janeway giving her support and encouraging her. In the final episode she is ready to take the steps so she can embrace her humanity, and experience emotions. Jeri Ryan did a fantastic job making her more than a sex object (which was obviously what the network wanted) but making her smart, strong, and willing to improve herself.


We wouldn't see her again intel a few months ago when the latest series premiered called "Picard". Oh, I guess at this point I should mention if you don't want "Picard" spoiled, stop here. This is not a review of the series, I won't get into the plot or my opinion overall, that's not what this is about. Let's just talk about Seven, and please understand I have only seen clips and read articles so forgive me if I get a detail wrong. So in the years since Seven returned to The Alpha Quadrant she has joined a group of freedom fighters. When a drone she had raised as a son is killed, she is enraged and out for blood. Yeah this has polarized a lot of fans, but I don't mind it. This shows' she fully developed that parental side she had been showing on Voyager. After getting revenge she helps Picard out. She has shown other new personality traits like drinking and being more violent. And it's also suggested, clearly, that she is bi-sexual and been in a relationship with a woman. My reaction?


What's wrong with that? Some have made it sound like this is a betrayal of the character. How? She was just starting to explore her sexuality when we left her. and considering how forced her relationship witj Cakotay was, I can totallt buy she ended up with this realization. Seven is badass in that show and it is nice to see while she has fully embraced her humanity at this point, her borg past is still very mich a part of her. I won't give away anymore, but I have no problem with Seven here it gelt like a natural evolutipn and I'm glad Jeri Ryan agreed to do it. Some of the fans reactoons reminds me of Star Wars fans who turned on "The Last Jedi" for what thet did to Luke, Because it isn't what you would do with the character doesn't mean the show should be disregarded and the performance shunned. And besides there is a Seson 2 coming maybe they will evolve her character further.


I realt want to see Picard in its entirety, and am so glad that this was decent after the nightmare of Discovery. I need to do a more detailed article on my thoughts on that show someday since there is a TON I didn't mention here. As for Seven, she's an awesome character who made me a fan of Voayger and courious enough to follow Picard. Enough said.


No comments:

Post a Comment