February 21, 2018

Five Disliked Cartoon Characters I Always Liked

So last time I talked about five beloved cartoon characters that I never really cared for. Seems only natural to discuss the opposite, characters that most or many find annoying but I have a soft spot for.

Now I said last time that everything was subjective, and that is even more true in this case. I tried to pick five characters that are generally disliked, but that sure doesn’t mean I am alone in liking them. Obviously since they are not beloved they are not as much a part of pop culture. They are the second banana’s that don’t get enough love. That all being said, here we go:



ORKO

For some reason every cartoon has to have the annoying sidekick character who was only there to be goofy comic relief. From Gleek on The Superfriends to Slimer on The Real Ghostbusters! to….What the heck was Snarf anyway? These characters were just here to be silly and goofy and serve no real purpose. And while Orko on He-Man and the Masters of the Universe sure fit this particular bill, I never disliked him. In fact he was a pretty good character. Oh sure he was silly and caused trouble but he had a really good heart. He would help out and was often brave saving the day a few times! It’s one instance I can see why the others put up with him, they know he means well! Compare him his She-Ra counterpart Kowal who was sooo useless! So as far as silly comic relief characters go, this one wasn’t so bad. I even had the action figure once upon a time!






I was surprised to see her pop up on some worst character lists, but I guess I can see why some would find her annoying. She can be uptight and preachy, and on a cartoon show that’s supposed to be fun that can get kind of old. But I think it’s refreshing to have a character like her on the show. Let’s face it we need a moral compass on a show like The Simpsons and she does it a very nice way. She’s also a positive person and enjoys life, not to mention pretty darn cute, so I don’t get all the hate. My favorite episodes of that show were her’s.






There really isn’t much to say here. The cartoon is a one note joke that does kind of go on forever. It’s a skunk who loves a cat because he thinks she’s a skunk. But I still find it hysterical, and the site of that poor kitty struggling to get away is always hilarious. By the way did she ever have a name??? Just kidding I know it’s Penelope.






Am I the only one who loves this little guy??? I mean he is just so..cute! It’s fun to see him thwart the attempts of Sylvester to eat him. I love quoting his silly lines. I twat I taw a putty tat! I realize there isn’t much to the little guy (er, bird) but I love him and he always gets a laugh out of me anyway. Looney Tunes was never one of my favorites (you may have guess by the fact I have not done a single article on them) but a few of the characters stood out, like Tweety Bird.

Note to self:work on a Looney Tunes article!!!






Ok my friends, let’s discuss this one. I would be lying if I said he was my favorite comic character but It’s common for people to pick on this guy because he doesn’t always seem to do much. Of course I am referring to the classic Superfriends cartoon where he seemed to have no purpose, and even the powers he was supposed to have weren’t used very well. Except that he can talk to fish. Why was he always traveling on a jet ski when he can swim? And of course since he couldn’t throw a punch we never could see how strong he is (he lives in the ocean my friends, think about it). Why was the fact he was King of Seven Seas never mentioned? I also think the voice was a bad choice on the show because it wasn’t memorable at all, unlike the rest of the characters. Why they picked Aquaman at all I’ll never understand when there were other heroes, maybe he was popular in the 70’s? So while he is picked on and mocked, I had no problem with him on the show and I think he gets a bad rep.




I already mention the ultimate annoying cartoon character last time. Yeah…


and as I said Scrappy didn’t bother me much. He was just a stupid sidekick that they threw in for no real reason and served no real purpose.



Ok my friends, what unpopular cartoon character do you like out there? Comment and let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I seriously hate Tweety! Then again, I seem to mostly side with the "mean" predator over the little "cute" pest in the cartoons. Yeah, I'm weird that way. Furthermore, I used to have a cat just like Sylvester (he looked just like the cartoon character and even had the same name as him), so I have a special place in my heart for him. So no love for Tweety here.

    And as for Pepe Le Pew, my problem with him is that his stick is uncomfortably similar to sexual harassment. I mean, it is clear that Penelope wants nothing to do with him. And yet, he refuses to let her go. And I guess that many people now want to tell me to lighten up ("it's just a cartoon"), but I have to say the Pepe Le Pew cartoons have aged badly.

    ReplyDelete