February 19, 2018

Five Beloved Cartoon Characters I NEVER Liked

I’ve talked about my favorite cartoons in the past, but what about the one’s I didn’t care for? Everything is subjective and just because a cartoon character is popular doesn’t mean everyone likes him or her. Others love them, and that’s great, but not me. Maybe I never watched the cartoons. Maybe when or if I did they did nothing for me. Sure as an adult I can appreciate them for their legacy and endurance, but as a kid not so much.


Oh, before I begin some may expect this little fellow to be on here..

But honestly I never had any issue with Scrappy. I never liked the cartoons he was in either, but that was more because those cartoons deviated from the Scooby Doo formula that I preferred.

Here are five popular cartoon characters that I never cared for…






This is a tough one since I could mean a few things here. I could be referring to Yogi’s friend, but he name was Snagglepus and he never bothered me. I am also not referring to the famous Jacques Clouseau movies. Never saw em. No I am talking about the character inspired by those movies, the animated panther who got his own show(s). And I never got it. What is the appeal? Does he even have a character? Is he a jerk or is he nice? WHY DOESN’T HE SPEAK! OK ok he does talk in the older shorts. This character never did a thing for me and I still don’t get it. To be fair one of the reasons I know Pink Panther are the ads he used to do for Owens Corning (look ’em up).
Oh and in the interest of fairness I do like that Henry Mancini theme. Who wouldn’t?









Here are two more old characters I never could get into. I wouldn’t have known they existed if they weren’t parodied to death (most notably in Full House) . As I have grown older I still have not seen anything these two have ever done, though thanks to the NC review of the movie at least I get why people do like them. They are cute and funny there is just nothing about them that makes me want to check them out.








The last two I didn’t hate, I just never really watched the shows or felt any fondness for them. This guy I hated! I briefly went over this about six years ago in another article. But man, did I hate this cat! Heathcliff is basically Dennis the Menace if Dennis had been an alley cat.  I always said he was Garfield minus the charm and likability. One reason was the voice. Mel Blanc is a legend but his voice didn’t work in this kind of role.His last original voice role by the way. I mean, Lorenzo Music made Garfield lovable, not much with Blanc. With Bugs, Bugs was always defending himself so his snark worked. Here, Heathcliff is just a jerk!! And nothing about him appealed to me. He played mean pranks and…that was all he did! While I did kind of like the theme song every time I watched the show it did nothing for me. There’s only one orange tabby for me!








Ok some could call this a cheat since this  I am not sure how popular this was, and of course it was a live action TV show first, but to be fair most of these originated in comics first. Now of course I am not talking about the live action TV series. I loved that show, before it got bad. But when it was popular they created an animated spin-off. The premise was brilliant, showing what Alf’s life was like on Melmac before he arrived on Earth. I remember being really excited about it when it came out one Saturday Morning in 1987 (NBC hyped it up HUGE). And we stayed with it for about an episode before giving up. I’m not sure why it didn’t grab us, but man was it boring. Somehow Alf as a cartoon doesn’t work, the only thing I really remember him in was “All-Stars to the Rescue” and even in that he didn’t do much for me. By the way the follow up show, Alf Tales, was even worst!












He’s Popeye the sailor man. He’s Popeye the sailor man. He’s quick to finish because he eats his spinach…which never made any sense even as a kid. Why does spinach give this guy special powers? Popeye is such a part of pop culture that I know all about him. But I never really cared for the character. In this case its more of a story problem. It’s always the same, Olive Oil in trouble and Popeye eats his spinach to beat up Bluto. Boring. True this was the case of other cartoons, but there was always some other charm or appeal that made me want to watch. Not with this one. I give the character credit he’s been around FOREVER and as I said is a major part of pop culture. And to be fair he was more successful in comics than on screen. But not for me. And yes I’ve already discussed that sad excuse for a live action movie. He did have a decent supporting cast, including the original damsel in distress Olive Oil. Why did he fight for her again? Yeah I know, everyone makes that joke. Popeye has been around for ages and while I respect that, the character never did it for me.


Obviously this list doesn’t include anything really recent, I am a kid of the 80’s so I was done with cartoons by the time the 90’s and so forth rolled around. Feel free to comment on any you think deserve to be on here. I considered Woody Woodpecker and Mighty Mouse but while I was never huge fans of them, I never hated them either. Are there cartoon character most people don’t like that I did? Now that’s a good question!

1 comment:

  1. Pink Panther is rather cool and the theme music is awesome, but I must agree that his cartoons were often rather meh. I wonder if some dialogue could have made them more interesting.

    Popeye never was my favorite either.

    The rest of the characters on this list? I have not watched those cartoons, so I can't say anything about them.

    ReplyDelete