August 23, 2017

Top 5 Worst Live Action Movies Based on Cartoons

It seems like such a simple concept, take a cartoon and make it live action. All you have to do is have actual actors and viola, no problem! Right? Well it sure doesn’t seem to work out that way most of the time. I mean some get it, like Transformers. Yeah those movies are from perfect but the give what they promise. And I don’t think G.I.Joe was THAT bad. When I watched the first Alvin and the Chipmunks it felt like Alvin and the Chipmunks. And then there’s the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies and while they may vary in quality none of them are truly awful.










However some are not so lucky. Some are so far off the mark that they aren't just bad, they piss the fans of the source material right the hell off! Here are five live action movies based on cartoons which are just awful. And it can be any kind of cartoon from a show to comic strip.






#5.The Flintstones

I saw this when it came out, it was hyped big time, and I can’t deny it. I liked it when I saw it. It was ok, nothing too bad. The characters were on track and it felt like we were watching a live action episode. With one big exception. That idiotic plot! The Flintstones was, at the end of the day, a simple sitcom with sitcom situations. Here we get a money laundering scheme, I think,  with sexual innuendo. Uh, yeah. No! It has the same problem as Mr.Magoo, but with that one the cartoon hardly had a solid premise so you could divert from it. The Flintstones did have a solid premise, and this movie feels way off the mark. Sometimes getting the look down isn’t enough, check out the Speed Racer movie as another example. Or the infamous Robin Williams “Popeye” movie which got the characters down cold (especially Olive Oil) but man was it soooo boring!!!






#4.Scooby-Doo/Inspector Gadget


I saw Scooby-Doo and it was so painful! I just didn’t understand what the movie was supposed to be. Why did the characters hate each other? Why was the tone so dark? What the freaking hell was up with that idiotic plot? Scrappy as the villain??? Huh?? I really have no idea what in the world the creators were going for but man was this a bad movie. Did I mention Scooby looked horrible? It’s a lot like Inspector Gadget, where they took the basic premise and then gave us a movie that only barely resembled the cartoon. I was excited for the Inspector Gadget movie and man was it bad! Matthew Broderick? No. Seeing Dr.Claw’s face? Hell no!!








#3.Garfield

With the previous three you felt like they were trying, a little, to honor the source material. Not here. I love Garfield, and this movie was baadd. Never mind the horrible CGI on the main character, what was up with the choices here? The plot is generic crap which could have starred any character. The casting was ridiculous. Breken Meyer as Jon? And why in the world was Odie and Nermal live action!!!! Bill Murray wasn’t a bad voice for the role but we all know why he foolishly took the role (if you don’t I’ll put it this way-ALWAYS READ YOUR SCRIPT). Awful movie and the sequel was only a little better. It was a lot like the awful Yogi Bear movie, we recognize the characters but we need a little more than that. I have no idea what the heck the writers of Garfield were thinking.







#2.Masters of the Universe

Hey, remember when I talked about how much I adored He-Man as a kid? Well that of course meant I went to see the live action movie. Sadly. Damn is this a bad movie, how hard is it to get close to a cartoon that is on every day and can be watched easily? I mean nothing is close! The setting barely resembles Eternia and Castle Greyskull. The characters only superficially resemble their cartoon versions. Despite having dozens of cartoon plots they made one up which ridiculous. Even though there were dozens of charactees we get Gwildor who was brand new and awful. And the casting is even worst. Ok Frank Langella does his best as Skeletor but Dolph Lundgren as He-Man? He brings nothing to the role! That’s nothing compared to the other characters like Evil Lynn and Teela who are beyond forgettable and bland. And the plot is another “fish out of water” story. Why??? Why in the world did our heroes end up on Earth??? Eternia is a pretty interesting place why not stay there for the first movie! They would also do this with the Smurfs, and that was just as stupid, Fat Albert which I never saw but it looked harmless at least, and the Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle which seemed…odd. Taking our characters of their world’s may make it easier to write the script but it wont make the fans happy!







So what makes this #2 if I hated it so much? As far as I know, while people did not like the Masters of the Universe movie I don’t think it infuriated the fans of the show. That can’t be said for the #1 pick which I had to make a tie :












#1.Jem and the Holograms/Avatar:The Last Airbender
 
Not gonna lie, I never watched these cartoons and couldn’t have cared less about the movie adaptation. But I do know enough to know they got absolutely nothing right about either show. It’s one of those things where the creators figured they could copy the names of the characters and that would be enough for fans. Ah, no. Something they could recognize as being based on the show would have been nice! Jem is real painful because it came out a few years ago, are you telling me with all the CGI tech they have today this couldn’t have been closer? The same problem plagued Avatar. To be fair I think they tried…I stress, TRIED.. to get things right. They missed the mark, big time, but at least you can kind of see the show it was based on unlike JEM which is so far off the mark it’s scary. Avatar suffered from one simple problem.  It was the wrong director and he sucked all the fun out of the world. They probably rushed to much of the story to get to their bland action scenes. As for Jem..I have no idea how that was botched so badly. So yeah, These movies did the worst thing you can do for any adaptation-pissed the hell off the loyal fans of the source material!






Was there one I missed you think should have been mentioned? Comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment