July 21, 2016

My Tribute to Garry Marshall

don’t t normally post a blog two days in a row but I decided to make a special exception this week. On Tuesday Gary Marshall passed away at the age of 81, and it seemed fitting that I give a tribute. So here it is.


garry-marshall-hof-2012-900x600
There aren’t many names of producers and/or directors that I care enough about to want to see a movie just because their name is associated with it. But Gary Marshall was an exception. Yeah he didn’t make the greatest movies ever made, but you knew his movies were going to be sweet family friendly or rom-com movies that you’d love. Behind the camera he was a very good director and producer, and gave us some movies which will always be with us. He also did a lot of TV creating shows in the 70’s which are all time classics, and appearing in other shows over the years in guest spots which were always hilarious. He was always funny when he appeared on camera, having a way to make anything into a laugh.


So let’s go through some of the Gary Marshall appearances and/or productions I have enjoyed. As always these are all films and shows that I have actually seen, so don’t be surprised if an obvious one is missing.



The Odd Couple
oddcouplelogo320
I guess it’s fitting his final appearance was on the New Odd Couple, since one his first claim to fame was adapting The Odd Couple into the hit TV series starring Tony Randall and Jack Klugman. I watched it here and there don’t have much to say about it. Amazing casting made this work as Klugmun and Randall were perfectly cast.



Happy Days
happy-days-logo
Garry Marshall gave us Happy Days. Simple as that. I have talked a lot about this show, good and bad, but it was on for eleven years and was a major smash hit. And it all stared with Gary Marshall and is great ability to cast great people and make them funny. I could go on and on with this show but we’re just getting started.



Laverne & Shirley
th
How many knew Penny Marshall was actually Garry Marshall’s sister? Anyway, again I while I have said bad things abiut this show it was stull a major hit. Cindy Williams and Penny Marshall had perfect chemistry, and as we go through these examples you’ll that is Marshall seems to be a master at casting.

Mork & Mindy
Mork-and-Mindy-mork-and-mindy-30445115-377-250
Did I mention that Garry Marshall also discovered Robin Williams? Yep after his appearance on Happy Days it was clear to everyone what a genius he was. So Marshall spun him off into his own series. And this is one I have sadly ignored and I really should do something about that someday. Williams was paired with Pam Dawber and while it didn’t last as long as his other two shows, it was a huge hit.

Before we get int his movies it’s worth mentioning he also ha d ahand in Angie, Joanie Loves Chachi and the new version of The Odd Couple. Oh and one more I have to mention…




Murphy Brown
Murphy_Brown_opening
No Marshall didn’t have anything to do with creating this show. But he did guest star in it, and was hilarious! I wish I could find a video clip somewhere. He played the head of CBS and was a guaranteed laugh every time he appeared.  As I said I really need video clips to ahow how he could make anything funny. If you can come across an episode he’s in check it out you wont be disappointed.


I left a LOT of TV off including The Simpsons, Louie, Two and a Half Men, and Hot in Cleveland. He got around! Pretty remarkable considering how old he was. He also did a little directing too.

Let’s take a look:


Overboard
Overboard_film
Who remember this little 80’s flick? While not the first movie he directed, those would be The Flamingo Kid and Nothing in Common, this is one I have actually seen. It’s one of those movies that really isn’t good but has developed a loyal following over the years of fans who love it. Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell are adorable as Hawn plays an amnesiac socialite Russell takes advantage of. It’s worth a watch.




Beaches
beaches-movie-poster-1988-1020193669
Nothing to say about this one. I have never sat through chick flick. I think I may have seen parts of it, not sure. Bette Midler is pretty good in it, and Mayim Bialik appears in one of her first roles.






Pretty Woman
Pretty_woman_movie
I really haven’t talked about this one enough. For a time this was easily one of my favorite movies. And I think it still holds up, which makes sense since it’s a fairy tale anyway. Well maybe not technically, but c’mon. But we ignore the absurd premise because Richard Gere and Julia Roberts are absolutely adorable together! There isn’t a bad performance in this movie, and for me is still one of the most quotable movies ever.



After Pretty Woman came Frankie and Johnny which I have never seen and Exit to Eden which is better off not being seen. Hey everyone has at least one dud, right? Oh and he also did Dear God with Greg Kinear which was, well, boring as hell!



Runaway Bride
runaway-bride-movie-poster-1999-1020196471
Ah, now we’re getting back on track. This movie reunited the cast of Pretty Woman (well to be fair Hector Elizonda appeared in everything Marshall direced!) but it was a different story and characters. And it was pretty good, a little draggy but still good. It was nice to see Gere and Roberts prove they could still have chemistry even in different roles. That doesn’t always work out.


But before I get to the big one, Marshall was appearing in movies he didn’t actually direct also.


Soapdish
Soapdishposter
I’m not really sure why he was in this, though it makes more sense than the movie further down on this list, but he was really good in it. Soapdish was a satire on soap operas and had a major all-star cast. This is one of those movies that is really funny and woth watching, and Marshall was one of the reasons.




A League of Their Own
League_of_their_own_ver2
This one isn’t shocking, since Penny Marshall directed this one after all. Marshall has a small role but it still good in it. In fact this movie is a perfect example of he could get a laugh just be reciting exposition. This movie is one of the best examples of a chick flick that anyone can watch and enjoy.




Hocus Pocus
Hocuspocusposter
Umm…why was he in this? I’m guess it was a favor for a friend. The scene is a brief one, and serves no purpose really, and is cute since he acts alongside his sister. But why was it here? Marshall plays a man dressed as the devil that the witches confuse for the actual devil. Oh well, Marshall is adorable in the role.




Never Been Kissed
Never_Been_Kissed_film_poster
Didn’t really remember him being in this but if IMDB says so, OK. It was a harmless Drew Barrymore vehicle. I looked it up by the way, and remember now. He was pretty funny, as expected. Though he makes no sense being in it he makes the most of it.



So here’s the big one:


The Princess Diaries
Princess_diaries_ver1
I am just going to come out and say it…I never sat through this. Don’t hate me! Ok ok all kidding aide, this is a harmless Disney vehicle starring Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews. It, and the sequel, is pretty popular an loved.  It was probably Marshall’s biggest hit (except maybe Pretty Woman) and even though I never saw it, I feel like I have. It was a big hit and won some awards, and it’s one of the examples of a movie being adored by its target audience. The sequel? Ehhhh…. never saw it just watched the Nostalgia Critic review.






Valentine’s Day/New Year’s Eve
Valentines_day_poster_10
Finally, Marshall’s final movies have been these ensemble films which get mixed reviews. Valentine’s Day featured stories of people celebrating, well, Valentine’s Day! New Year’s Eve had another all-star cast on New Year’s Eve (and was a horrible film, I can’t lie). Mother’s Day just came out in May. I guess it shows how much people love Marshall that though both movies were trashed by critics, both were hits.




Garry Marshall also appeared on stuff as himself including reunion specials and awards show. It’s amazing how many careers he launched including Ron Howard, Henry Winkler, Penny Marshall, Robin Williams, Julia Roberts and even Anne Hathaway owe everything to him. He is a true legend and will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment