September 17, 2011

Random Thoughts - Emmy Awards



Random Thought is my format for discussing current events, whether they be movie or other things happening in the world. Today let's discuss the Emmy Awards.


So the Emmy Awards are this weekend, and even though I basically gave up watching first run television awhile ago I still enjoy tuning into the awards. I like to see the special awards and tributes, including the In Memoriam one about all those who've passed in the last year. However, it's not like the old days when I used to watch them because I loved them. It just seems like television is so different now. Kids today can't appreciate the way it was in the 70's, 80's, and maybe early 90's when it felt like one big happy family on those awards shows. These were shows and stars we loved and enjoyed watching. Now, most of the show's nominated are HBO shows which, honestly, how many people watch? When I was younger I used to get so excited about the fall preview issue of TV Guide, and just abosrbed all the shows. Now, the new season doesn't mean anything anymore. I know, I am sounding like an old person. I just wish we could go back to the days of well written, quality scripted comedies and drama's rather than the reality crap which overwhelmes us. When everything wasn't so rushed and forced down our throats. Ever watch and old episode of "Facts of Life" or "Family Ties?" They seem so slow now because they took time to tell a story rather than just throw a million jokes at you for twenty minutes. If we were really lucky they even educated, who does that today? Thank goodness for my old tapes and for DVD's. So, I will watch this year but without the excitement I used to watch with.

No comments:

Post a Comment