April 13, 2019

Top 10 TV Hangout’s (Diners/Bars)


I talked awhile back about my favorite waiters, waitress’s and bartenders at our favorite TV diner’s and restaurants. But one thing I never discussed was the places themselves. It’s true that in some shows the hangout’s don’t have much personality, like Nemo's on Everybody Loves Raymond, or “The Touchdown Club” on Coach. The characters were always there, but who remembers that place?





















 
But in other shows, the hangout becomes so popular that it almost qualifies as a character in of itself. Here my favorites:





#10.The Simpsons

One of the amazing things about this show is how fleshed out the town and community of Springfield are. And one of the first places we learned to love was Moe’s Tavern. Whether it was Homer getting some advice or Bart playing yet another prank, we all loved this place. Hey, wasn’t there a Simpsons article I was supposed to be doing…..








#9.Murphy Brown

Phil’s was the neighboring watering hole where all of Washington’s elite would gather to have lunch and trade secrets. And of course where the FYI gang met and hung out all the time. I never got if the place was  a bar or a restaurant since it seems liked there couldn’t be a real kitchen back there, and yet Phil was always making burgers and other food for the characters.







#8.Mad About You

I always loved Riff’s, the restaurant featured on this show. It had a simple charm all its own. And since every quaint hideout needs a memorable waitress, we had Ursula played by Lisa Kudrow. She was so adorable it’s no wonder she would get a permanent gig.










#7.Frasier

After Cheers (it’s coming I promise), Frasier found a new home in this quaint Seattle bistro. And Cafe Nervosa really is a cute little place, though I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t like anything they serve there. They seem to be all about the fancy coffee and while you can get pastry it’s clearly the beverages that keep people coming back.








#6.Three’s Company

While it doesn’t have the biggest nostalgia value as some of these, I think we all know the Regal Beagle right? This was a bar/restaurant where our characters could order food as well as drink. And of course hatch schemes.








#5.Saved By The Bell

I never had much good to say about Max, the stupid character played by Ed Alonzo, but the place he ran is another story. The Max was the local hangout and was simply dripping in the 80’s. It was the epitome of unrealistic. That a high school would a diner that the kids hung out at. The way the place was designed was nuts. And the way that our characters would walk in as if they owned the place in every episode. But not matter how unrealistic it was, we loved it.







#4.Happy Days

Arnold’s fit this show like a glove. It was the perfect quintessential 50’s hangout with the jukebox and people always partying. I hated the new version that came later, when they turned Arnold’s into another 80’s location. The original was great, even the bathroom was memorable as Fonzie would often bring his friends into “his office” for discussions. The best partrs of this show very often were those booth scenes, where the gang would gather to discuss all sorts of things. Usually women







#3.Seinfeld

It was hard to rank these last three, but I think while Monk’s is a great place the next one is a little more welcoming. People think of the outside of this place more than the inside, which is a real New York location I will see someday if it kills me! Monk’s is your basic greasy spoon offering breakfast and lunch. They seem to open late too but I am not sure what they are serving after dark there. I like how the fact that the characters spend so much time there, almost to much time, did come up from time to time.







#2.Friends

Central Perk is a lot like Cafe Nervosa, but there a couple big differences. One is that the place feels more accessible to people who aren’t wealthy snobs. And they offer a few more options in the food department, from cookies to even pies at different times. The place is just more relaxed and comfortable, it’s no wonder that the Friends always gravitate there.








#1.Cheers

A recent review of Cheers episodes reminded me of what an amazing show this was. It was funny, damn funny. The characters were so well played and written. And at the center of it all was that amazing bar all our regulars would hang out at. It doesn’t seem so odd they would be here so much after you watch a few episodes. In fact after I finished the episodes, I was sad there were no more. I loved spending time at the place where everybody knows your name. The only drawback to Cheers is there was no food, but I guess that’s what Melville’s was for.








As I look at the list I realize that hangout’s were a big 90’s thing weren’t they? I’m sure Seinfeld had nothing to do with that. Lots I missed from Boy Meets World, That 70’s Show, Laverne and Shirley and many more. Comment and let me know which was your favorite.

1 comment:

  1. The one that I remember the most is Rachel's Place on "Family Matters".

    ReplyDelete