March 19, 2019

Random Thoughts-The New Lex Luthor (no spoilers)



So I talked about the new Superman when he showed up on Supergirl, it was only fair to discuss this week’s newest casting. Yes my friends we have  a new Lex Luthor. Let's go over his appearance this past Sunday Supergirl, without any spoilers and real quick.





 
Not gonna lie, I was not excited about it. I have never been much of a Jon Cryer fan. The only thing’s I’ve really seen him in were Superman IV and Two and a Half Men. Course he was ridiculous in Superman IV and while he was ok in “Men” he was kind of a tool. Add to that the ghost of the last new Luthor, Eisenberg who trashed the character, I had my concerns.

What did I think?

I was very, and happily, surprised! So again with no spoilers, Cryer really did a fantastic job. He’s a much better actor than you would realize after that lame sitcom he got stuck on. This was a Lex that had everything. He had  a sense of humor and some humanity in him. But he was still smart as a whip and cunning. Luthor is always 2 steps ahead of everyone, except Superman, and that showed. He’s still got another two episodes so it’s hard to say for sure where he will rank on my list of actors who played Lex. He doesn’t beat Rosenbaum or Shea, or Hackman, but he is sure hell better than Eisenberg. Cryer seemed to really get Lex, and while I don’t think he physically fit the role 100% I think he nailed the rest of it. His scenes with Lena were superb. I was very impressed by the end of the episode, and that final scene was perfect it may be one of my favorite Arrowverse moments from any of the shows. Can’t spoil it so go watch it!!! It’s a shame these DC TV writers don”t write the movies, why couldn’t we have had this Lex in Batman V Superman rather than the Joker wannabe we ended up with?


I also loved the nod to the old comics, especially the plot point of Luthor having cancer by kryptonite exposure which was a real thing once. By the way I haven’t been thrilled with this season on Supergirl, but this episode as a whole was pretty damn good. Wonder what next week will bring?


So that’s it. my initial reaction to seeing the new Luthor. What did you guys think? Comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment