October 7, 2016

Top 10 Creepiest TV & Movie Themes

 It’s Halloween!!  For a special treat I have a two part article for you covering something that, much to my surprise, I have never covered before!


Halloween is a great time for scary movies, cool TV specials, and of course Halloween episodes of sitcoms and cartoons. But the one thing that makes the holiday really stand out is the music. There is something so special about Halloween music, even organ music which normally I don’t care for but this time of year just works. Now in the past I have stated that I don’t really consider something a holiday installment if it has nothing to do with the holiday. For instance a horror movie is great but what does it have to do with Halloween specifically (except the few set on that day)? But with music I am more lenient, pretty much any creepy song will fit the bill. One reason being that finding Halloween songs are a little bit harder than Christmas music which is endless.



Today my focus is on theme songs, from movies and TV, which have a scary and ominous tone. These are theme’s everyone knows, even if you’ve never seen the show or movie. They’re creepy and dark, and get you ready for the scares ahead! The big rule here, no lyrics. Just the creepy music (and visuals). I will be covering songs with lyrics tomorrow. Here are my ten favorites:




#10.Amazing Stories
This was an anthology series in the 80’s which Steven Spielberg was behind. I wish it was more remembered than it is, but it was pretty cool! I know I may be alone on this one, but I loved this theme!







#9.Tales of the Crypt
This is yet another show I never really watched, but man is this opening sequence beautiful. I mean, it just screams Halloween!  Why so high? Because the visuals are a bit  better than the actual music.






#8.Alfred Hitchcock Presents
This is a hard one to call, is it scary? It doesn’t sound like it wants to be scary.







#7.The Exorcist
This is one I will never see, but I have heard the music and it’s perfect for Halloween







#6.Beeltejuice
Which, the cartoon or movie? While there’s nothing wrong at all with Elfman’s movie score the cartoon theme tops it. It’s just…I don’t have the words for it!







#5.Goosebumps
I’m not going to lie, I never knew this one existed until Nostalgia Critic used it last year. It’s good! It somehow manages be both light and menacing all at the same time.









#4.X-Files
I simply love this theme. Not enough to watch the show, but still the theme is fantastic for setting the mood!










#3.Psycho
Yeah the main theme is creepy enough but I think what most remember is that chilling music during the murder scenes.  Those tone still send shivers down my spine!







#2.Halloween
I’ve never seen the movie but I’ve certainly heard the music. I swear it takes the Psycho music and dials it up a notch.






#1.The Twilight Zone
This one is simply a classic. From Rod Serling’s classic narration to those wonderful tones that everyone knows. Even to this day, this is the music you want to hear when something bizarre happens.






Did I miss your favorite? Comment and let me know. I’ll be back tomorrow with part two, actual songs that everyone loves to hear on Halloween! And the one or two you are ready to yell at me for not putting on here may end up on that list.

No comments:

Post a Comment