September 26, 2016

My Ten Most Disturbing Star Trek Moments

As we enter the Halloween season, and begin concluding my year long celebration of Star Trek, it seemed like a good idea to discuss some of the scarier moments from this show. Yeah some may be surprised at that word but Trek can be many thing. We’ve already discussed how it can be funny and light, but it can go the other way and can be downright dark and disturbing too, with visuals which will haunt you dreams for years!



Here are ten examples of Trek moments that gave the willies!




Charlie X (TOS)
Charlie X is about a teenager who has more power than he knows what to do with. It’s pretty good especially for season one TOS. Toward the ends of the episode he begins to use that power to punish the crew. Leading to this disturbing image of a woman with no face!









Catspaw (TOS)
Yeah Ok as an adult this isn’t really that scary. But try to imagine watching it a young child! The scene is drenched in Halloween atmosphere. Ok the episode isn’t so hot, but this scene is pretty creepy. The best part of the scene is Spock’s line after Kirk asks for his comment.









Conspiracy (TNG)
This was freaked me out as a kid, so much so I am not even sure I have watched this episode since. What happens? Oh, noting really. Picard and Riker blow a man’s head off and then destroy the alien living in the guys chest. Sounds pleasant, right? The real surprise is this was season 1 TNG!






The Best of Both World’s (TNG)
By heir very nature the Borg are scary. They are soulless machines who assimilate what they want, and nothing can stop them. So what happens when out beloved Picard becomes one of these creatures? You get one of the most memorable moments in any Trek episode ever.









Night Terrors (TNG)
Night Terror’s is a…bad episode, there’s just no other way to say it. It’s a story about the crew being unable to dream and getting paranoid. It’s not well done, at all, but did manage one or two scary moments. This is one of them:







Genesis (TNG)
Genesis is another episode that is pretty goofy, but did manage at least one very scary, if brief, scene. It startled me at first. Worf has developed a sack on his neck, and Crusher makes the mistake of asking to open mouth.







Empok Nor (DS9)
This is an example of doing a bottle show but actually making something out of it. O’Brien, Nog, and Garak are at the sister station of DS9, an abandoned station called Empok Nor. Something causes Garak to go a little crazy and start killing everyone. It’s actually a pretty creepy episode, leading to this final scene:







The Thaw (VOY)
I talked before about how “The Thaw” was advertised as a terrifying episode but didn’t really manage to accomplish that. Except for one scene which did come close. Here it is.








Impulse (ENT)
Are zombie Vulcans scary? This episode thought so. Not gonna lie I’m not 100% sure I ever saw the episode but the clip is a bit, disturbing.












Star Trek-The Motion Picture
And lest you think I forgot the movies, we have this pleasant scene from the very first movie. It’s disturbing and I still have no idea why they included it. By the way if you’re wonder why I didn’t include the ear slug scene from TWOK, I decided I’ve already discussed that enough.






Yes there are lots more out there, especially since I kind of short changed the later series, so if I left off one of your favorite examples comment and let me know.




Ok guys I want to try to get out more Trek article this week, and I promise that will conclude my year long anniversary tribute. I love this franchise and have enjoyed sharing it. Then we’ll get into October and, to be honest, I haven’t decided what my focus will be just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment