December 4, 2015

Top 10 Favorite Animated Christmas Specials-#8

Welcome as I continue counting down my top 10 favorite animated Christmas specials. Not every animated Christmas special is considered “iconic” or is so popular that it airs on prime time network TV to this day. Some are a little more obscure, but no less cherished. My #8 choice is….
ddf




The funny thing is that I was never really a Yogi fan. I watched the cartoon as a kid and it never did much for me. It was a one note cartoon with the same old gag (bear steals picnic basket, hijinks ensue). It was just that the characters were well done, they stood out and became memorable. So it says a lot that I really like this and still remember it.


I didn’t get the chance to watch this again so forgive me for doing this based on memory. Yeah the cartoon is full of silly contrivances, but I guess that it’s in keeping with the character. The ranger keeps trying to get Yogi to hibernate but instead the owner of the ski resort or whatever it was keeps promoting him after seeing him do some heroic rescues (that the villains set in motion to ruin everyone’s fun). I remember one involved a ski lift, have to watch this again!


Speaking of that, the thing that I always remember about this was the “villains”. We have two, a snotty brat named Snively (whose name I remembered without looking it up) and a hermit named Herman. Herman is sort of like the Grinch, he hates Christmas (and people) so he tries to ruin it for everyone. The brat is, well, a brat but I like how his aunt isn’t the cliche’d “my nephew is perfect” kind of aunt. She acknowledges his misdeeds and is punshing him through the special and I always admired this cartoon for hiving us a responsible parent (or parental figure).



And of course we had our supporting cast. It still amazes me all these characters had their own shows at one point. Who watched these shows? Ok to be fair most of these were segments in other people’s shows. We had Huckleberry Hound, Snagglepuss, Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy..what, no Droopy Dog? And how come Quick Draw McGraw wasn’t invited!! Of course rounding out the cast was Boo Boo and Cindy, who is usually forgotten but was Yogi’s girlfriend. And of course the Ranger who I always liked because he was no bumbling idiot like these characters are so often in cartoons. Hey, am I the only wishing Captain Caveman had made an appearance?


Of course Yogi plays Santa in the end and all the trouble Herman and Snively cause is forgiven. In fact Yogi gives them a Christmas present despite all the trouble they caused, making them realize what jerks they really are. By the way the running gag in the story is that Yogi and Boo Boo (and Cindy) are supposes to be hibernating, that why it’s Yogi’s first Christmas. But my former sister in law once noted that bear’s don’t hibernate in real life. I pointed out that was a common misconception. No point just felt like sharing that. Oh and the real Santa does pop in to give Yogi a present..except that he’s finally fallen asleep!


It’s a really nice special which could have so easily been cliche after cliche. But it manages to shake free of cliche and stand out on its own. Ironically this came out a year after Casper’s First Christmas which has the same cast (and Quick Draw McGraw!!) plus Casper and feels very much like a sequel to this (even though it came out after). Ironic because Casper’s First Christmas is boring cliche and nothing memorable whatsoever. And yes Yogi is in that one, which makes no sense since this his is first Christmas and….I am getting of track.

Not the biggest Hanna-Barbara fan you’ll find but this one I really did like.


yofirst5

No comments:

Post a Comment