February 4, 2014

Pilot Lounge:A Special Preview of "Pinheads"


I am starting a new series on pilot episodes of various hit series. The idea is to talk about how a show can really evolve from a pilot, sometimes for better and other times not so much.

But today I wanted to do something real special, take a look at a brand new pilot for a web series which will soon be released. The show is called Pinheads, and it was created by ME's very own Alex Decourville.


He not only stars in the production but this was his own creation as well as he helped write the story and is the director of the pilot. Since it is essentially a sitcom, Alex thought I would like a preview to give me thoughts. Not sure why, do I talk about sitcoms a lot or something? In all seriousness, it was a pleasure to take a look at this and an honor to be one of the first to do so.


Now I don't want to give much away, so real simply here are my feelings on it. It was great! The show is about three employees of a radio station and is basically the three hanging out in a bowling alley. The characters are Charlie, a guitarist who is a fun loving guy. Steven the DJ who has a temper. And Brian who loves to eat and relax. At the bowling alley is the odd manager named Kenny and he neurotic son Bernie.



In the episode Kenny is pushing Bernie to film a new commercial for the alley. It...doesn't go as planned. Again I don't want to spoil anything for you guys so I will say that it was really good. I laughed a few times and there are some clever 4th wall gags. The characters are good though like with any pilot not as fleshed out as they will be down the line. But I was interested in them and would like to see what happens next.




Criticisms? It's hard to judge a pilot real harshly because the show is just getting off the ground. I guess it does suffer from the Seinfeld syndrome, it needs a good strong female character. There is one female in the episode but she is not given enough to do.But again, that is a minor complaint and it is only the first episode.




But I see lots of potential here, you can really tell how much work has been put into it. Alex seems to have a clear direction for what this show and its characters are to become which makes me very optimistic that this series will have a healthy life.





This is set to premier over the next few days so when it does be sure to check it out and support our good friend. Thanks again to Alex for allowing me a sneak peak. Glad I could be of service my friend. Great job and the best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment