January 2, 2014

Five "WTF??" Popular Songs


Hey who doesn't love a good song once in awhile! But sometimes a pop song which seems harmless enough really isn't when you really pay attention to the lyrics. Below are five songs which are well liked, but when you realize what the lyrics are saying you have to stop and say WTF???


Everybreath You Take (The Police)


I love this one because it isn't just me who got the message of the song wrong. Many consider this a romantic tune, and even make it their wedding song. Ah, no. It's a song about a man obsessing over a girl to the point where he is watching  "every breath you take; every move you make". I can't even listen to this song now (ok, part of that is because I hate Sting but that's another story).



Baby It's Cold Outside


As Christmas has come to a close there is a question I must ask. WHY IS THIS A CHRISTMAS CLASSIC?? Take away the fact that the song isn't the least bit Christamassy (talk of a storm isn't enough!). The song is about a man refusing to let a woman leave. What? My favorite line is this one : "Say… What's in this drink? ". Ok, I get that this was recording back in the old days but why is it still loved today? It's a guy trying to have sex with a girl whether she wants to or not!!!




Sunny Came Home (Shawn Colvin)


Shawn Colvin is underrated in my opinion. She is a nice singer and I love her soft voice. This was her big hit, and seemed harmless. Until you find out what it's about. A woman returning to her childhood home SO SHE CAN BURN IT DOWN!! And she does!! It is a nice song of liberation from your past but...man! Of all these I liked and still like this song, even if the message is a little dark.




Greased Lightning


Have you ever heard the lyrics to this? They're filthy! This is of course from the very popular play and movie Grease. It sounds like a cool song regarding how much Danny loves his cool car. If you really listen to the lyrics, you realize he REALLY loves his cool car! I mean, wow!




She Bop (Cyndi Lauper)


Maybe I am an idiot, but I had no idea what this was about when I first heard it. It just sounded kind of cool. And I like Cyndi Lauper enough. Then, I found out what it is about. And it's real hard to listen to this one now. If you don't know, the song is about a woman...um, pleasuring herself. The lyrics are pretty tame but when you hear them, you get it. But you know, maybe it's just me and this isn't so bad. Let me see what Wikipedia says about this:

"In an interview on The Howard Stern Show, Lauper stated that she recorded the vocals of the song while nude"

I will never listen to this the same way again  






I am sure there are plenty more I could mention, which songs come to your mind that seen nice but are really disturbing?

No comments:

Post a Comment