October 20, 2012

Top 10 LEAST Favorite TV Theme Songs

I've talked a lot about the theme songs I loved, but what about the other side of the coin. Those themes which just plain suck. Sometimes it’s a good song which just does not fit the show, other times the song is just plain awful, so awful the theme is literally replaced.

This is not limited to sitcoms. Here are 11 of my least favorite themes, this is all just opinion.


#11.Home Improvement

This theme isn't god awful, it does fit the show, but the metal tune has never been a favorite either. It's sort of annoying especially the beginning. It does get better as the theme plays. In fact when I watch this show in re runs I often fast forward through the opening. To be fair the animation is pretty cool.





#10.Family Matters (first few episodes)

When Family Matters first premiered it didn't feature the bouncy theme we're all used to. Instead it featured Luis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World". It was awful! I still remember hearing it years ago, and was so happy it was changed. Who thought that made a good match? Don't misunderstand me, the song is beautiful I love it...but as a theme song to a silly comedy????? This isn't MASH, why use such a sad song? Thankfully this was replaced fast but I decided it counted.




#9. The Munsters

Hey, where is everyone going?? Just kidding, but I hate this show and the clunky, annoying theme song doesn't help. About all there is to say.



#8. Rubik The Amazing Cube

It's a bad cartoon based on a stupid idea, it may as well have a dumb ass theme song. At least Pac-Man got it right!




#7. Charles in Charge
There were a slew of corny syndicated shows in the 80’s. The theme for Out of this World was awesome. Small Wonder was decent. Then you have this little gem. I know it’s an old joke, but this show is so sugary it gives cavities. And the theme is no exception. Think Full House is bad? Ha! Check this show out. They did try to jazz the song up later on, but it was still lame.






#6. Star Trek Enterprise

 I love "Faith of the Heart" as a song. But as a theme to a Star Trek show??? Yeah I get what they were going for, but what does it say that when people heard the theme for the mirror universe episode, they loved it? There were so many mistakes with this show which did have potential, and the theme song was mistake #1.




#5.GOBOTS

Yes, this was a real cartoon and it has one of the most boring, unimaginative, and forgettable theme songs you will ever hear in a cartoon. Transformers this ain't.





#4. Eight is Enough

There are just some shows that you wonder, what was the theme song for that show? This is one of them. When you hear the theme you realize why, it’s bland and boring. It’s clear the theme didn’t know what it wanted to be, upbeat or depressing.





#3. Joanie Loves Chachi

This cheesy theme and opening set a special standard, a bad one. There are many reasons this show didn't last, and they start with the theme song. I mean Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, and Mork and Mindy had strong themes. What happened here? Want to have the leads sing, ok, but pick a decent song! Awful.





#2.Two and a Half Men

I hate this show. I hate this theme song. What more do I have to say?



#1.Frasier

The short sting they use in the beginning of the show is fine, but what is up with this theme? Listen to the end credits and you hear a mess of lyrics which makes no sense. Granted it is well sung, but what the heck is the theme "Tossed Salad and Scrambled Eggs" supposed to be about? Apparently the song writer wanted a vague song, well he sure hit that nail on the head. I found an explanation online, it seems the songwriters and creators have an interpretation for the song, one interpretation of what the songwriters and two creators of the show have said it meant and yes there are many ....

   Hey baby I hear the blues a'callin'

    * play on words:  He's got the blues and referencing that he takes phone
     calls

   Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs

     *mixed up people who call in

   And maybe I seem a bit confused
   Well, maybe, but I got you pegged

     *the core of Frasier's character:  He is a nutcase himself much of the
     time, but can analyze the problems of others

   But I don't know what to do with those
   Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs

     *except these damn callers

   They're callin' again

     *they're calling again


Oh! Now it sort of makes sense now that it has been explained. Um, here's a hint for a good theme song. If you have to explain what the lyrics mean I have one thing to say (in my best Linkara impression)...YOU HAVE FAILED!!!!! Thankfully this show is so good the inane theme song can be forgiven.





Honorable Mention-Blossom

Every list I see had this theme on it, but for some reason it never bothered me. But since it seemed so unanimous I decided to include it. I guess it is lame to stretch the work "opinion" into "opinionation"




Nurses

This show didn't last long and the theme from the first season lasted even less than, being replaced pretty fast."Here I Am" is a lovely song but as a theme song it's one of the biggest buzz kills since "Joannie Loves Chachi"






and finally, I also noticed lots of articles hating the Perfect Strangers theme. Sorry but I like it, yeah it’s corny 80’s but it’s not plain awful and it even sums up the show a little. It’s also a very upbeat tune, it makes me feel good when I hear it. So to leave on a positive note, I give you the link to one of the more inspirational themes from the 80’s.


No comments:

Post a Comment