January 9, 2012

Top 5 Things I Will Never Cover (because I hate it)

Top 5 Things I Will Never Cover (because I hate it)



If you read my stuff regularly, then you already probably figured out the things I love. You may notice there are certain things I never talk about. I am the type that if I don’t like it, I don’t watch it. Simple as that. That is why you will never see me mention That 70’s Show or Two and a Half men. Of course, those are just two sitcoms. There are entire categories of things I don’t like, and I thought I would talk about them and maybe discuss why that is.This is, as always, just my opinion.

#5.teen or “chick” shows. Sex in the City, Party of Five, Dawson’s Creek, Gilmore Girls, Melrose Place. What do all these shows have in common? Well, let’s just say I am not the demographic they are shooting for. I did see the old 90210 because of my ex wife, and my love for Superman was so strong that I happily sat through the sappy fair that was Smallville. I had lots of female friends at college, and in the mid-90’s if you were home than the tv was on Sisters. The only “chick” show I liked was the 80’s sitcom Golden Girls, and that was due to the enormous talent on that show. It was genuinely funny. Let’s not even talk about Designing Women.

#4. Drama. I watch TV to escape. To forget about life for awhile and not have to think. Why then would I want to watch programs involving people being killed or having other brutal crimes performed on their persons? I realize that’s a pretty narrow minded view, but at the same time I just never had an interest in drama. Not that I have never seen any. Thanks to my now ex-wife I watched ER for almost its entire run. I admit, it was a good show. I have seen Law & Order SVU once in awhile and way back when, LA Law (in its last season, unfortunately). I just have no desire to watch them. I did watch Parenthood but gave up on it this year. Action shows are a little different, but I really haven’t watched any since Knight Rider back in the 80’s (I can’t come up with a good reason for that).

#3.Reality TV- I hate reality television. Some aren’t so bad, like the ones that kind of make a game show out of it. Survivor is a prime example. But I just don’t care enough about these people to me invested. The worst are those dating shows, like The Bachelor. I mean, who cares? The one show I did watch was The Apprentice. At first I watched it because of the time slot, but I actually got into it. For the first two seasons anyway. These shows are just so….I can’t explain it. We used to watch talk shows in the 90’s for the trash you find on reality shows today. I tried watching Last Comic Standing, but the show had the contestants sharing a house. Why?????? I also never understood the fascination with American Idol. Yeah, it was fun to watch Simon Cowell tear these poor kids apart but aside from that what is the appeal? However, there are far worst shows than that. I don’t watch them, I just watch The Soup on E! which gives me all the highlights for just a half hour.

#2. Certain movie genres-I recently did an article on the amazing movies which came out in the 80’s. In that article was no mention of Poltergeist or Nightmare on Elm Street, which are both classic 80’s horror flicks. The reason is simple, I hate horror movies. I also didn’t mention the The Fly, another classic I will never see because it’s so gross! I hate movies with excessive gore and blood, I just don’t need that.  I also don’t like dark comedies usually, Heathers being a very large exception. I am very fussy about movies I guess, I have missed some great movies because they were depressing or overly bloody. Saving Private Ryan is a prime example; I know how that film starts. Once in a great while I will see a sad movie, like Titanic. I saw that because everyone was telling me I had to see it. To be fair, they were right. That movie was incredible.

#1. Cable sitcoms. HBO has had some very good shows over the year. Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dream On, Larry Sanders, and Sex in the City. I have never been a fan of any of these. There are a few reasons, but one main reason is because on these shows the characters can swear, and do. A lot. I don’t want to come off like a prude, and I will not say I never swear, but I get tired of watching these things because of the language. I don’t swear in public, and I don’t spend time with people who swear a lot, so why in the world do I want to watch TV shows were people are using curse words every second? The worst was The Larry Sanders Show, of course Gary Shandling’s stand-up is pretty filthy so why wouldn’t the show be? The same goes for the amount of sex on these shows, I don’t need to see it on TV.

That’s a look at some things I will never cover, but don’t worry I will be doing lost more talking about the stuff I do love and watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment