August 25, 2011

Top 5 worst Friends episodes


I have wanted to do this for a long time, why not now? I have been an avid tv fan for as long as I can remember. I love comic books to, but want to focus on tv. I will bring up comics from time to time though. Why aren't there any tv reviewers on here? I want to change that.

As you probably know, Friends was NBC's mega hit from 1994-2004. It was funny, well written, and smart. The cast is known the world over and I, at least, know all the episodes by name. However, there were a couple episodes which just leave me scratching my head, wondering what the writers were thinking. Did they really think these idead were good? They are not just not funny, but downright creepy.

 Before I begin, let me say this is my first blog so have patience with me.

#5 Episode 168, "The one with Chandler's Dad". The problem with this episode is the B story, about Ross and Rachel driving and getting a ticket. Overall the ep is not bad, but that last scene where Ross flirts with a male cop is bound to make anyone cringe.

#4 Episode 45, "The one with the bullies". In hindsight, this is not that bad an episode. However, when it first came on in 1996 there was something about it which, irked me. The story I am referring to has a couple of bullies giving Chandler and Ross a hard time in Central Perk. The idea of these characters being reduced to nervous grade schoolers just bothered me. And where are their friends, I know there is a scene with Joey saying he will stick up for them but what about Phoebe, or Monica. Imagine Monica defending her bother which upsets Ross, that would have been a better way to go. It's not that bad an ep, this story just bugged me.


#3 Episode 77, "The one with the ballroom dancing". Talk about a no win situation, with most of these the B or C stories make up for the horrible other story. Not in this one, not only do we get this absurd story about the janitor learning to dance with Joey (seriously? I wrote it and I don't believe it) but we get the annoying bank story where Ross and Chandler can't quit the health club and if that isn't enough there's Phoebe lusting after a massage client. Nothing worth tuning in for. 





#2 Episode 206, "The one with phoebe's rats". Oh my god, what were the writers thinking? One of the stories in this episode involves Phoebe and her rat babies, and worrying about caring for them. Not funny is an understatement. The worst part is that the rest of this episode was really good, there were some genuine laughs. The rats story drags the episode down which is to bad.


#1 Episode 198, "The one with the sharks." When this first came on I had recorded it for some reason, but I hated this episode so much I instantly erased it. Basically what happens is that Monica walks in on Chandler, well, gratifying himself. Chandler turns the channel when she walks in, but Monica believes that he was getting off on the shark show that is on the television. She freaks out about it then at the end of the ep is prepared to turn him on with a shark video. I mean, c'mon! Forget they were friends for years, even if I could believe she was stupid enough to believe Chandler didn't just change the channel why didn't she just ask! I can see how this story started, the writers probably had no idea what to do with it. Well, they went the wrong way.


Well, that's it. Agree, disagree, I can take it. I enjoyed this and hope to do more, if you liked let me know. Gotta go for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment